My way, my way! Get outta my way!

“Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-5 (ESV)

“My way, my way! Get outta my way! ” my toddler says as she squeezes her way behind me on the couch.  

“Say excuse me,” I remind her.

“‘’Scoo me,” she says as she continues to push her way through, and the limits of my patience.

Being a mom to a toddler is harder than I remember.

I’ve been through these years with my older kids, but I thought this time would be a breeze with the experience of being an older mom.  However, her temperament is a  little more turbulent than breezy.

My husband and I aren’t sure what will work best for her.  I think she needs limits and consequences and discussed the possibility of time-outs.  He didn’t like my idea and backed up his thoughts with an article explaining how punishment can be harmful to toddlers.   His parenting approach seems to put her in charge and I felt it was causing increasing tantrums.  My way seemed better and I began praying he’d see that too.

I came home one day weary and worn from our morning at church and searched online for advice.  I read how her two-year-old brain is still developing so she can’t control her emotions yet.  Her small body is closer in size to a baby than a second grader, but I wanted her to listen to me like my students did at school.

A mix of online resources encouraged me to start seeing her independence, determination, and intensity as strengths.  I wasn’t appreciating her individualism or that she just turned two.  Instead, her behavior could irritate me because I worried what others thought of my parenting.

One website included a list of helpful articles.  One was the same article my husband had shared with me that explained his view on time-outs.  I had disregarded it, but now I found myself humbled as I read it.

I’d been praying my husband would get some revelation from my point of view, but instead, I learned about his perspective and my own bad attitude.

I was irritable and resentful of his parenting style.   Inside I was screaming, “My way, my way!”- an approach similar to that of my toddler.  

There’s a better way.

Psalm 119 says His Word is a lamp to my feet and a guide for how to walk in God’s ways.  When I don’t know what to do, I can turn to Scripture.  It tells me love is patient and kind and that living this way is possible through the Holy Spirit.   Patience and kindness are the gifts available, as I seek God with my whole heart.  I can choose His way, moment by moment, through the tantrums and trying times.  This will bring joy and peace even when things aren’t going my way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little By Little

God wants you to be holy

God's power