Trust in You


Proverbs 3:5-6 -Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

That’s not fair!  There have been so many times in my life that I have felt this way.  Before I developed a relationship with Christ, I trusted these feelings completely. I didn’t know otherwise.  These thoughts steal my joy and makes me feel like a victim, yet I still find it hard not to dwell on them.“ Proverbs 28:26 (CEB) says, “Those who trust in their own reasoning are fools, but those who walk in wisdom will be kept safe.”


I know better, but sometimes unfairness still gets to me.  It isn’t the big things from my past, but just the normal little things in life.  I feel this when I have to do more than my fair share at home.  It happens when I feel frustrated about my husband’s long, irregular hours as a farmer and it’s just me and Maycee at home.   It can happen after a long day at work when I go to a sporting event a little haggard and I see the stay at home moms who look so good that I think they might have spent the day getting ready for the basketball game. I feel it when Leah doesn’t get playing time in a sport she has worked hard in or when Luke now gets together with his dad more than me.   It even happens when I see Chip Gaines doting on Joanna when I am watching Fixer Upper! Oh, how I would love to have my man tell me my ideas are amazing, build whatever I ask him to, all the while telling me I look pretty.   But, thanks to God, I don’t have to feel stuck in bitterness, frustration, or resentment.  I don’t  even  have to quit watching HGTV!  Peace is available by learning to turn to God over and over as situations happen in life that feel unfair.


Accept that life can be unfair and trust God anyway
Ecclesiastes 9:11:
I also saw other things in this life that were not fair. The fastest runner does not always win the race; the strongest soldier does not always win the battle; wise people don’t always get the food; smart people don’t always get the wealth; educated people don’t always get the praise they deserve. When the time comes, bad things can happen to anyone!
Unfairness is part of being alive. Life isn’t always going to go our way.  When we don’t understand or feel frustrated, we can cry out to the Lord. It is especially hurtful when someone else has what I have been praying for. This is how Hannah must have felt in 1 Samuel.  Hannah cried out to God when she was aching because she had not been blessed with children. Her husband had two children with his second wife Penninah, which added to her devastating pain.  Penninah tormented Hannah by consistently pointing this out to her.  Hannah must have felt forgotten.  She must have thought the situation was terribly unfair and wondered how God could bless this woman being so cruel, but not bless her.  


Hannah still believed that God could change her circumstances and she continued to pray and cry out to God. ‘In her deep anguish Hannah prayed to the Lord, weeping bitterly.’  1 Samuel 1:10 (NIV)  The Lord answered her prayers and gave her Samuel.  Hannah promised to dedicate him to God, and she did.  Because of her trust and obedience, God blessed her with five more children.
David also cried out to God in many of the psalms.  He cried to the Lord in despair, anger, protest and doubt. He started out Psalm 13 by saying, “How long will you forget me, Lord?  Will you forget me forever? How long will you refuse to accept me?”
He felt sad and forgotten, but still he ended Psalm 13 professing his TRUST in God.  Many of the psalms are sad in parts, but go on to encourage us that “weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning” (Psalm 30:5).


The situation we are begging to be different may not be changed, but He can change US!  He can show us how to have peace through all circumstances. We have to put our TRUST in God even when he works things out differently than we would like, for reasons we can’t understand.  We have to believe His plan is better than our plans. We have to trust, trust, trust when our human nature says otherwise.  


”God is good. God is good at being God. Our job is to obey. His job is everything else!” Lysa Terkeurst
Isaiah 26:3-God, you give true peace to people who depend on you to those who trust in you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little By Little

God's power

God wants you to be holy