Made New

2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)

17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:[a] The old has gone, the new is here!


I found myself in the middle of situation that was very humbling.  I joined a writing group for the night that  gets together once a month at Lutheran Church of Hope.  


The church is on Jordan Creek Parkway and we usually only go for their amazing Christmas Eve service  It’s a huge church and the times I have gone have fit my conceptions of this part of West Des Moines. The church has people from every walk of life, but there are lots and lots of well-dressed, attractive people.


I walked in on this Thursday night and it had a very different feel.  It was still very busy, but instead of families celebrating the holiday, I saw lots of young men and women hanging out.  I noticed many young moms and some rough looking teenagers. The childcare center was full. There was a meal being served and food distribution for the food pantry.  Thursdays are also the night for a Celebrate Recovery service and recovery small groups.  Anyone with ongoing hurts, habits, or hang ups is encouraged to go.  I have heard the pastors say since we all struggle with these things, everyone should be there, but I think most people there are working to overcome drug and alcohol addictions.


I was there early and felt a little on edge as I walked around to find the room for the writers group.  I finally found the room and was the first to arrive.  Others slowly joined and I noticed that everyone in this group was sixty or above.  A few had mobility issues that made their walk into the room slow and cumbersome.   An older man, who seemed a little creepy, walked in and I noticed that his hands trembled and his head shook back and forth (maybe Parkinson’s) and he had a recurring throat clear that seemed really loud in the quiet room.  He passed over a few empty chairs to sit next to me.  


I felt so uncomfortable that the thought of standing up to leave crossed my mind.  I tried to shake off the thought and scolded myself for being so shallow.  Then an adorable, African-American woman walked in and her smile lit up the room.  I kept glancing over at her and wondering if she was a newscaster.  I’m still not sure. Her presence changed the dynamics in the room and made me a little more comfortable.


We got started.  The woman in charged passed around three envelopes and we were told to take a few slips of paper from each envelope.  Then we had 20 minutes to write anything we chose with these words.  My words were earthquake, pumpkin, radiant, fume, bellow, squishy, and corvette.  I wasn’t sure what I was going to write, but it slowly became a short story about our recent night in Stanhope for music in the park.  The activity was fun and I enjoyed seeing how these weird words could become a story.  


Then we shared.  Everyone’s story was unique and incredible in its own way.  One of the women looked hesitant to share hers.  She also had some issues with tremors, but I stopped noticing as I focused on the way she used her selected words and turned them into a beautiful prayer praising the magnificence of God.  I wish I had it in print.   I was blown away by her talent.  


As I was driving home, I was thinking about the group.  Writers often write to release pain or because they have too much time alone.  That’s the case for me so it shouldn’t be a surprise that this group had writers that other people might consider loners.  I was mad at myself for being so uncomfortable throughout the night just because I was in a setting with more diversity than I expected or was used to.  Why was it so hard for me to be around people whose lives are different than mine?  I even began to wonder how I could call myself  a Christian if I still felt judgmental of others. I had the thought (again!!!)  that I shouldn’t be writing a Christian blog if I still think the way I do.


That is when I stopped the train of thought I was going on.  By the grace of God, I have finally begun to recognize this as I lie. I know the father of lies wants nothing more than for me to quit and beat myself up for not being good enough.  When my mind and heart aren't as open as they should be, I feel condemned and sometimes I want to pull away from my faith life because I don’t feel worthy.  On my own, I am not.   

Once we admit we are powerless, then we finally rely on God’s help.   These are the same steps as those who bravely came to the church for the Celebrate Recovery service that night.  Then we consciously commit to his care and control because we will continue to need it. This is certainly what I learned for myself on this night.  All of my weaknesses aren't gone. I'm going to keep messing up.


Instead of judging others for the way their own particular habit, hang up, or hurt may be playing out in their lives, I need to focus on the 8 principles of Celebrate Recovery based on the Beatitudes:


Realize I’m not God; I admit that I am powerless to control my tendency to do the wrong thing and that my life is unmanageable. (Step 1)
         “Happy are those who know that they are spiritually poor.” Matthew 5:3a TEV
Earnestly believe that God exists, that I matter to Him and that He has the power to help me recover. (Step 2)
         “Happy are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” Matthew 5:4 TEV, NIV
Consciously choose to commit all my life and will to Christ’s care and control. (Step 3)
         “Happy are the meek.” Matthew 5:5a TEV
Openly examine and confess my faults to myself, to God, and to someone I trust. (Steps 4 and 5)
         “Happy are the pure in heart.” Matthew 5:8a TEV
Voluntarily submit to any and all changes God wants to make in my life and humbly ask Him to remove my character defects. (Steps 6 and 7)
         “Happy are those whose greatest desire is to do what God requires” Matthew 5:6a TEV
Evaluate all my relationships. Offer forgiveness to those who have hurt me and make amends for harm I’ve done to others when possible, except when to do so would harm them or others. (Steps 8 and 9)
         “Happy are the merciful.” Matthew 5:7a TEV; “Happy are the peacemakers” Matthew 5:9 TEV
Reserve a daily time with God for self-examination, Bible reading, and prayer in order to know God and His will for my life and to gain the power to follow His will. (Steps 10 and 11)
Yield myself to God to be used to bring this Good News to others, both by my example and my words. (Step 12)
         “Happy are those who are persecuted because they do what God requires.” Matthew 5:10 TEV











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little By Little

God's power

God wants you to be holy