Shine

Matthew 5:14-16The Voice (VOICE)

14 And you, beloved, are the light of the world. A city built on a hilltop cannot be hidden. 15 Similarly it would be silly to light a lamp and then hide it under a bowl. When someone lights a lamp, she puts it on a table or a desk or a chair, and the light illumines the entire house. 16 You are like that illuminating light. Let your light shine everywhere you go, that you may illumine creation, so men and women everywhere may see your good actions, may see creation at its fullest, may see your devotion to Me, and may turn and praise your Father in heaven because of it.

My friend Sarah is funny, silly, upbeat, and happy about life.  She lets her light shine everywhere she goes.  She has a gift for starting conversations, usually by asking great questions.  She’s good at it because she’s naturally curious about people and practices this skill over and over.  Plus, she is sharp, quick witted and more concerned about brightening someone else’s day than what someone might think of her.  (This last one is especially hard for me!)  


She asks me great questions too.  One of the questions she asked me several years ago was if I died would there be anything she should destroy for me.  I was used to her random questions so I laughed and told her YES!  I had kept a bunch of journals for years and I would have hated for someone to look through them.


At that time, I was more private. I felt so much shame about my divorce and I wasn’t comfortable talking about how messed up I felt.   I thought everyone else was doing better than me.  As my friends and I slowly opened up with each other, I learned I’m not alone in my challenges or my flaws. Christian authors and online devotionals also showed me that no one has everything figured out.  


Brene Brown, one author I really like, has written powerful books on the shame we feel because of our imperfections and explains how allowing others to see them is what allows our lights to shine.
“We cultivate love when we allow our most vulnerable and powerful selves to be deeply seen and known, and when we honor the spiritual connection that grows from that offering with trust, respect, kindness and affection.
Love is not something we give or get; it is something that we nurture and grow, a connection that can only be cultivated between two people when it exists within each one of them – we can only love others as much as we love ourselves.
Shame, blame, disrespect, betrayal, and the withholding of affection damage the roots from which love grows. Love can only survive these injuries if they are acknowledged, healed and shared.”


I know her words are true because when I am shaming and blaming myself, I’m not loving to myself or others.  Through a relationship with God,  I'm learning to be seen and known to others by not hiding my true self.  Sarah does this by focusing on others and not taking herself too seriously.  Her kind of energy is rare so I accept that my own light will not be as vibrant as hers, but I am learning to shine in my own imperfect  and unique ways.


Lord, we have seen the rising sun, awakening the early dawn
And we're rising up to give You praise
Lord, we have seen the stars and moon, see how they shine
They shine for You and You're calling us to do the same

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little By Little

God's power

God wants you to be holy