Our God

So what should we say about this? If God is for us, no one can stand against us. And God is with us. Romans 8:31 (ERV)
We didn’t have much when we were kids, but my mom always made sure to buy us a pool pass every summer.  We were usually lined up at the gate before it opened and stayed there until it closed. I was in charge of watching my brother.  When he was three or four, I would sit with him in the baby pool and look over at the big pool and wish I could go in there.  He couldn’t be at the little pool without someone there to watch him, but I could bring him to the big pool and watch him awhile, then go play with my friends, and occasionally check on him.  

He agreed to go in the big pool one day, and when I came back to see if he was okay, he was bobbing with his head barely above water.  I decided it was time I taught him to swim.  He was a natural and amazed everyone by going off the board when he was really small.  He still credits me for teaching him to swim and I never tell him what led to that swimming lesson!  

Who knew those early days at the pool would be such a big part of my life? I enjoy helping kids learn to swim so much that I still teach lessons.  More importantly, teaching kids to swim when I was in college is what led me to become a teacher.

I never grew up wanting to be a teacher because my own elementary school experience wasn’t very good.   We lived in the same town from the time I was in kindergarten to seventh grade, but we lived in six different places and my parents broke up and got back together at least that many times.  Our home was rarely peaceful.  My mom often worked nights at the bar and as the oldest, I was in charge.  Homework wasn’t a priority, my desk at school was a mess, and my teachers could be hard on me.  Yet I am now an elementary teacher because I loved working with kids at the pool.  

I nearly missed the opportunity to do that. When I was in high school some of my friends took the lifeguard training classes and they said how hard it was.  One of my most athletic friends didn’t pass because she couldn’t tread water with the brick for one minute. I knew if she couldn’t pass the test, I wouldn’t be able to either so I never took the class and wasn’t able to be a lifeguard while I was in high school.

Then during my first year at college, I learned one of the P.E. electives could certify me as a lifeguard and swimming lesson instructor.  I decided to try it.  Well, it turned out the brick test that was so hard for my high school friend was much less difficult for me because I had less muscle.  Muscle sinks, but my body is great at floating.  God equips us all differently!  

The next summer I applied at the pool in my hometown and was hired as the assistant manager because I was the only one with the extra certification to teach swimming lessons.  The next year I became the manager and those summers working there with one of my best friends are some of my happiest memories. Thankfully, my doubts that I wouldn’t be strong enough to pass the life guarding class didn’t stand in the way of that.

Isn’t it amazing when we look back and see how the littlest things influenced our lives in such huge ways?  I can see God’s hand throughout my life.  There were many things that stood against me, but God was with me.  Like you,  I could write a list of troubles I have gone through. Romans 8: 37 says,  “But in all these troubles we have complete victory through God, who has shown his love for us.”

Where I am now is a result of my good decisions, bad decisions, lucky breaks, mess-ups, mistakes, perfect opportunities, answered and unanswered prayers. As I move forward I want to better know God’s will on my life so I make better decisions and fewer mistakes.  

One path to this is ” to give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NIV) I thank God for all the circumstances that shaped my life and will try to give up my thoughts on how I wish it was different. There will be more challenges ahead and I will need to give thanks for those too because I have no idea how they will be used to change me and direct my life.

I pray as I walk with God, I will know him more and more and begin to delight in His ways. This is how He turns our wishes and hopes for our life into what will bring Him glory, honor, and delight.  Friends, I pray the same for you today. I hope you see His hand in your own life and can give thanks. I pray you can "Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4 (NIV)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little By Little

God's power

God wants you to be holy